Fire involving recalled Bush washing machine
Tue 15 Mar, 2016
Following a washing machine fire at a flat in Milton Keynes this morning, Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service is urging people to check that their electrical products have not been recalled.
It has emerged that the washing machine – a Bush WM1270TVE - was the subject of a safety notice issued in May 2014, which stated that a component in the control panel could in certain circumstances overheat and present a risk of fire.
Crews from Broughton and Bletchley were called to the ground-floor flat, in Columbia Place, at 8.15pm. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a dry powder extinguisher to put out the fire and a fan to clear the smoke.
The damage to the washing machine is pictured. The fire also caused heat and smoke damage to the kitchen.
Station Commander Jeremy Williams said: “The washing machine started making strange noises, so the quick-thinking occupant turned it off at a remote switch. It started smoking, so she closed the doors, evacuated the flat and rang 999.”
The product recall notice was issued by Argos and also listed on the Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service and Electrical Safety First websites.
Jeremy said: ”It would appear from the information provided by the occupant and from the inspection of the machine that the control panel that was cause for the recall was also the most likely the cause of this incident.”
He offered the following safety advice:
- Look out for product recall notices, which are released in the media and listed on the Electrical Safety First product recall checker.
- If you haven't already done so, many domestic appliances up to 12 years old can be registered on the Register My Appliance website. Click here for more details.
- Don’t run your washing machine, tumble dryer or dishwasher overnight or while you are out.
- Check your smoke alarms once a month to make sure they are working.
Full list of washing machines in the May 2014 recall:
- Bush WM1270TVE (white) and WM1270TVEME (silver)
- Bush DIHWD1270TVE (white) and DIHWD1270TVEME (silver)
- Bush WM1470TVE (white) and WM1470TVEME (silver)
- Bush DIHWD1470TVE (white) and DIHWD1470TVEME (silver)
- Haier HWD1270TVE (white) and HWD1270TVEME (silver)
- Haier HWD1470TVE (white) and HWD1470TVEME (silver)
- Haier 1470TVE (white) and 1470TVEME (silver)
The model number is on the body of the washing machine, just inside the door.
If you have, or think you may have, one of the affected washing machines, Argos will arrange for the faulty component to be replaced. Contact 0800 888 6124 or email email@example.com.