Have you been asked to buy advertising space to support us?
Thu 13 Oct, 2016
Local businesses are being urged to check the credentials of salespeople who ask them to buy advertising space in emergency service magazines, guides, diaries or wallplanners.
Although many reputable companies work in this field, Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service is occasionally contacted by local businesses who say they been approached in an unprofessional manner by suspected rogue traders.
Sometimes they give the impression that they are working on behalf of Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service or other other emergency service organisations. Our advice is:
- Ask for the salesperson's full name, company name and contact details.
- If the salesperson says the publication "supports" or "is distributed on behalf of" a local emergency service, ask for the full name of the organisation they say you will be helping.
- Ask for the offer to be made in writing.
- Remember - a reputable company will not be offended by any of these requests.
- Never make a commitment or agree to make a payment on the spot without taking time to think about the offer.
If you are suspicious of a salesperson who says he or she is working with Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service in particular, or the emergency services in general, please email the person's or company's name and any contact details you have, along with details of any offer that has been made, to Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service at firstname.lastname@example.org