West Ashland, Milton Keynes
25 February 2024 at Midnight
All the information you need before your application
Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service serves a population of more than 800,000 in the Southeast of England. Around 400 firefighters operate from 19 fire stations from the outskirts of London to the South Midlands. We employ around 100 specialist support staff, from ICT to fire prevention. We are a diverse, welcoming community – will you join us?
Find out more about us and our values at www.bucksfire.gov.uk/join-us/
Our Service is only as good as its people. When our employees are engaged and supported, our Service thrives. This is why we support flexible working.
About the role
An exciting opportunity has arisen at West Ashland Fire Station for a Fire Station Cook to join Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service.
West Ashland is a busy fire station located near to the city centre. Our dedicated firefighters work tirelessly to protect and serve the community, and we are seeking a skilled and enthusiastic Station Cook to join our team to prepare and cook their meals.
Working with the Station Commander and crews, your role will be to:
- Ensure high-quality and nutritious food is prepared.
- Plan weekly menus with the watch-based Mess Managers, and consider dietary requirements, allergies, and preferences of the crews.
- Maintain an inventory of food and kitchen supplies, placing orders as necessary to ensure a well-stocked kitchen.
- Adhere to food safety and sanitation standards, maintaining a clean and organised kitchen area.
- Maintain accurate records and accounts for all purchases.
- Occasionally assist with food preparation for special events or functions.
We are looking for someone who is:
- Flexible, reliable, and conscientious.
- Comfortable working on their own initiative.
- Able to plan and deliver menus based on dietary requirements and preferences.
Experience and skills required
- Proven experience as a cook or chef.
- Good knowledge and understanding of Food Standard Agency guidelines.
£14,629 rising to £15,264 (Pro-Rata)
- Permanent contract.
- 25-hour week.
- Local Government Pension Scheme.
- Good annual leave entitlement.
- Employee benefits.
- Employee Assistance Programme.
- Occupational Health.
- Free onsite parking.
Application and interviews
If there are any adaptations or adjustments we can make to help you in your application, or with our recruitment process, please contact us via email or telephone.
For further information about the role please review the job description.
(Internal applicants please log in using your iTrent Self Service username and password).
We are an equal opportunity employer. Applications from people of any colour, race, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status or disability are welcome.
Everyone who works for us is required to have a DBS check. If you have any queries or concerns regarding this, please email: HR@bucksfire.gov.uk.
Abatement and Protected Pension
If you are in receipt of a firefighter’s pension, before taking up employment with Buckinghamshire & Milton Keynes Fire Authority, you are required to notify Human Resources as Abatement Rules may apply.