7 August 2020 (Midnight)
Headquarters, Stocklake, Aylesbury, HP20 1BD
£24,399 – £31,144 (National Pay Scales)
- Permanent contract
- 42 hour week plus 40 hours of resilience cover per week
- Pensionable flexible deployment allowance of 10 per cent plus an annual award of up to 5 per cent in respect of resilience rota participation
- Local Government Firefighter Pension Scheme
- Good annual leave entitlement
- Employee benefits
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Occupational Health
- Free onsite parking
- Onsite gym facilities
Exciting opportunities have arisen within Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service (BFRS) for operational staff interested in transferring to an innovative, forward thinking, progressive organisation, working within our Flexi-Firefighter system.
We are seeking to appoint individuals who are effective communicators with the ability to work under minimum supervision, with the desire and ability to work flexibly, and across the geographic area of Buckinghamshire and Milton Keynes.
The Flexi-Firefighter team currently consists of a mixture of Firefighters, Crew Commanders and a Watch Commander. The positions will be on a permanent contract that will attract an additional pensionable flexible deployment allowance of 10 per cent, plus an annual award of up to 5 per cent in respect of resilience rota participation. Enhanced earning potential, overtime and extra bank shifts at an enhanced hourly rate.
Reaching/maintaining the required performance standards within the Flexi-Firefighter role will enable you to seek alternative positions across the organisation, in line with the organisation’s management of transfers of operational employees.
You will be required to undertake a development programme across the range of national resilience specialisms, all training will be provided for this.
You will need to provide resilience across the organisation in addition to contracted working hours should the requirement arise, and this will include incidences affecting resource numbers, and recall to duty requirements.
Eligibility for the role:
This role is open to Competent Firefighters from Whole Time and On-Call Operational staff who reside (or can reside) within Buckinghamshire and Milton Keynes.
We are looking for individuals who possess the following personal qualities:
• Keen to contribute to a safer community.
• Committed to equality and fairness.
• An understanding of their role with regards to health, safety and welfare.
• Motivated to continually improve.
• Effective team member.
• Effective communicator.
• Flexible approach to undertaking new initiatives.
Our essential requirements are that you:
• Must hold a full UK driving licence.
• Must be a competent firefighter.
• Achieve Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) clearance.
• Pass a service medical and fitness test.
• Achieve the required standard on a practical assessment day.
When completing the application form, please answer the following questions in the supporting statement:
• Why you are interested in this particular role within Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service.
• With reference to the Role Profile, please give examples of the skills, knowledge and experience you would bring to the role of Flexi-Firefighter to demonstrate why you are a suitable candidate for the role.
• Please outline the steps you have taken over the last twelve months to enhance your personal development and progression within your current role.
• As part of the Flexi-Firefighter resilience requirement, are you able to respond to Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service within a three hour timescale, if required.
Please ensure you enter relevant Firefighter qualifications that you have in the relevant education and qualifications section.
If you would relish the opportunity of transferring to an innovative, forward thinking, progressive fire and rescue service, that encourages developing a range of skills to help serve the community, then we would like to hear from you.
For further information about the role please review the job description, which can be downloaded via the related downloads button below.
What is the fitness test for Wholetime Firefighters?
If I am a Wholetime Firefighter, can I have a second job?
Can I choose which fire station to work at?
What are different coloured watches?
Do you have separate changing facilities for male and female Firefighters?
Do I need to be able to swim?
Do I need to be able to drive?
Do Wholetime Firefighters have to work weekends and public holidays?
Is there an age limit for Wholetime Firefighter applicants?
Would a criminal record prevent me from applying to be a Wholetime Firefighter?
How often do you check your Firefighters’ driving licences?
Would a driving offence prevent me from applying to be a Wholetime Firefighter?
Why is there a requirement for Firefighters to have a driving licence?
Is my address within a 20-mile radius of your county border?
Why do you restrict applications to people who live within a 20-mile radius of your county border?
Is being a Firefighter dangerous?
Would somebody’s size affect their application to be a Wholetime Firefighter?
Are Firefighters allowed to drink or smoke?
Do you have to have good hearing to be Wholetime Firefighter?
I wear glasses and have had corrective eye surgery. Can I apply for a Wholetime Firefighter role?