Fire damages three homes in Milton Keynes

Sat 8 Aug, 2015

Firefighters have remained overnight at the scene of yesterday's fire (pictured above) in Fishermead, Milton Keynes, which damaged three houses.

The control room received the first of a number of calls shortly before 3.30pm on Friday (7 August) to a fire in an end-of-terrace property in Penryn Avenue. Three fire engines, a turntable ladder and a supervisory officer were mobilised, as there was concern that there could still be occupants in the property.

Group Commander Roger Brinklow from Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service said: "On arrival, the crews were faced with a developing fire affecting the roof of one house which was spreading to the adjoining property.

"The officer in charge identified the need for additional resources which were requested and at the height of the incident appliances from Great Holm, Broughton, Bletchley, Newport Pagnell, Olney, Winslow and Brackley attended, along with the Incident Command Unit from Aylesbury.

"The crews were quickly able to confirm that no-one was inside the property and that there were no injuries to any many of the public.

"Severe damage was caused to two properties, and limited damage to a third, but the actions of the crews attending prevented spread to any further properties within the terrace.

"Crews remained at the incident overnight and will do so today to ensure the fire is completely extinguished."

The cause of the fire will be investigated today. At its peak, there were about 40 firefighters and officers at the scene. Firefighters used two main jets, two hose reels, a turntable ladder, four sets of breathing apparatus and a fan.

Volunters from the British Red Cross Fire and Emergency Support Service, whose vehicle is housed at Bletchley Fire Station, attended to help look after people affected by the fire.

Long-standing support arrangements between neighbouring fire and rescue services enabled firefighters and their colleagues from Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire to deal with calls to three other incidents in Milton Keynes within about 30 minutes of the first call to the fire in Fishermead.

Deputy Chief Fire Officer Mick Osborne said: "Our crews, ably assisted by our neighbours, coped magnificently in what were very challenging circumstances."