Warehouse/factory fire in Newport Pagnell

Wed 15 Jan, 2014

Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service would like to thank Councillor Douglas McCall for allowing us to use his picture, which was taken shortly after the fire broke out.

Sixty firefighters and officers were called to a fire in a factory unit this afternoon in Renny Park Road, off North Crawley Road, Newport Pagnell.

It broke out in the 60-metre by 80-metre two-storey building, containing a distribution warehouse and offices, shortly before 2pm.

Firefighters from Newport Pagnell, Olney, Broughton, Bletchley, Great Holm, Buckingham, Aylesbury, Princes Risborough, Stokenchurch, Woburn and Dunstable attended

The fire created a plume of smoke which could be seen for many miles, leading to more than 70 emergency calls.

The smoke was blown to the north and north-east, and residents were advised to keep their doors and windows shut for several hours.

Everyone in the building was about to get out safely when the fire was discovered. There have no reports of injuries to staff, the public or firefighters.

Firefighters used two jets, two turntable ladders, two water tankers and five sets of breathing apparatus.

The "stop" message, meaning the fire was under control and no more resources were required, was sent at 5.14pm. The building was 100 per cent damaged by fire.

Group Manager Steve Wells, the incident commander, said: "Firefighters worked extremely hard, in very difficult conditions, to bring a rapidly-developing fire under control in a little under four hours, while also preventing it from spreading to adjacent premises, and protecting the environment.

“I would also like to thank all the other agencies who worked with us to bring this incident to a safe conclusion, including Thames Valley Police, Milton Keynes Council, the Environment Agency, Public Health England, the British Red Cross and the gas, water and electricity companies, as well as the media for their prompt help in spreading important safety messages while the incident was ongoing. Thanks, too, to adjacent businesses who made their facilities available to us."

North Crawley Road and Renny Park Road were closed, and were expected to remain closed until about 10pm. Contrary to some reports, the A509, and junction 14 of the M1, remained open.

Relief crews are working at the scene overnight. An investigation into the cause of the fire will begin in the morning.

Steve added: “When the fire investigation report has been completed, it will be shared with the company and its insurers. However, one thing we can confirm at this stage is that the evidence we have gathered clearly shows the cause was accidental.”