To be considered as an On-Call Firefighter you must:
- Be at least 18 years old by the start date
- Hold a full UK driving licence (must have passed the driving test by completion of your application)
In addition, we are looking for candidates who demonstrate:
- A ‘Can Do’ attitude
- A keen interest in the fire and rescue service
- A willingness to learn
- The ability to communicate effectively with a range of people
- The ability to work in a team environment
- The ability to achieve a good level of physical fitness
- The ability to follow instructions
- The ability to think about the bigger picture in a dynamic and challenging environment.
Our Vision and values
Our Vision and values are important to us, and we expect all our employees to be aware of them, and ensure they and the work they undertake on our behalf upholds them.
If you are not aware of our Vision, and the values that underpin everything we do, please click here to view them.
We aspire to uphold our values in all our dealings, whether they are with the public, partner agencies or our own employees. We also expect all our employees to work to these values which embrace:
- Service to the community
If your postcode indicates you will be able to meet one of our response times, you might just be seven steps away from joining us. There is a postcode checker on our On-Call job application page.
If the postcode you give does not sit within any of our designated response times, we are sorry, but it is unlikely that we would be able to offer you an On-Call role. However, you can go to this national site which allows you to register your interest in On-Call opportunities with other fire and rescue services.
Example timeline for immediate response:
- Time of alert via phone app: zero minutes
- Drive to station at normal road speed: six minutes
- Put on PPE (personal protective equipment): two minutes
- Fire engine leaves station: eight minutes