Reminder to be electrical fire safety smart this winter.
On Monday 14 November at 11.54 am crews from Aylesbury, Olney and Newport Pagnell responded to a bedroom fire call.
The cause of the fire was believed to be faulty phone charger. A phone had been left on the bed while on charge. The room was badly damaged and the devastating effect it has had on the homeowner and their family has prompted them to help us share some key fire safety messages.
The homeowners did every right upon discovering the fire
- The door had been closed on the room where the fire had started
- Everyone got out of the property
- They phoned 999
- Everyone stayed outside the address until the fire crews arrived
Don’t leave items on charge
- When you are asleep
- If you are leaving the house
- Never leave charging items like laptops or phones on soft furnishing like beds or sofas.
- Regularly check chargers including the cables for any signs of wear and tear. STOP using them if you spot any sign of damage such as frayed wires.
- Make sure you buy the correct charger for your devise from a reputable supplier
If you are concerned about fire safety in your home or for an elderly family member, we offer free home fire safety visits. We can access the fire risks in your home, fit smoke alarms and discuss escape routes in the event of a fire. For more info Home Fire Safety Visits – Buckinghamshire Fire & Rescue Service (bucksfire.gov.uk)
For more information of how you can keep you and your family #FireSafe visit our safety hub